Electricity Safety Tips

Electricity can keep your home comfortable, light the path to your door and cook your food. Or used unwisely, it can cause a shock… or even start a fire. The power is yours. Make electricity your friend.

watty“Hi, I’m Watty the lightbulb

… and I have some brilliant tips on how to use me and my family.
Electricity can be a powerful friend…or a dangerous enemy. A lot depends on your awareness of the rules that apply to its safe use. To help ensure that you and your loved ones enjoy the benefits of electricity without the threat to loss of life in the home or out-of-doors, do what I do”…


  • Respect the power of electricity
  • Read and follow the operating instructions that come with every electrical product
  • Replace worn or frayed electrical cords
  • Relocate appliance cords so they won’t be walked on, and children can’t pull on them
  • Check wire, extension cords regularly to ensure that they are not damaged (with no wires exposed) Discard and replace worn out cords immediately
  • Read manufacturer instructions before installation or use of electrical devices
  • Wiring should be reinspected every five years by the Government Electrical Inspectorate
  • Remember to employ a qualified, licensed personnel to supervise and/or carry out any electrical installation
  • Know your emergency numbers and keep them handy


  • Be sure your house is wired to carry the voltage of all your electrical household appliances
  • Enquire as to how many appliances can be in use simultaneously and follow the recommended guidelines
  • Avoid putting too many plugs into one outlet
  • Always disconnect appliances not in use, or being repaired
  • Look around your house and eliminate overloaded outlets
  • Make sure all your appliances are operating within the stipulated electrical guidelines
  • In the event of malfunctioning of appliances or any sign of electrical fire, turn off the main circuit immediately… and give us a call
  • Never touch appliances or wires with wet hands or feet
  • Never use wet appliances
  • Unplug all electrical appliances before attempting to repair them
  • Never use radios, hair dryers or any electrical appliances in the shower or near a bath tub or pool
  • Always disconnect an appliance by pulling the plug, not by tugging the cord
  • Never run extension cords under rugs or furniture
  • Turn off direct power supply before replacing burnt-out bulbs
  • Always match bulbs with correct voltage
  • Switch off all appliances not in use when leaving home
  • Train children not to put things into electrical outlets. Plastic outlet guards are a good idea
  • Check wires, extension cords and appliances regularly for signs of wear
  • Use power tools with three-pronged plugs


  • Always call a qualified electrician to do any wiring in your home.
  • Application for supply should be made well in advance of the date the supply is required. This can be made at any of the Commission’s Service Centers.
  • It is advisable that customers consult with T&TEC to determine the best location of the point of supply for a new installation or a modified installation.
  • Before the Commission connects an installation to its system, it must be presented with an inspection certificate of approval (Obtained from the Electrical Inspectorate Division, Ministry of Public Utilities).


  • When disconnecting an appliance, pull the plug, not the cord.
  • Keep all cords away from heat and water.
  • If multiple electrical connections are required.
  • Do not break off or bypass the third prong of a plug. Its there because it’s needed for safety reasons.
  • Never use cords or plugs that show any wear or damage.
  • Do not place a cord under a carpet, through a doorway or anywhere that it could be stepped on.
  • Never remove a plug when your hands are wet or when touching a metal object.


  • Keep you extension cords away from water.
  • Do not use a two pronged extension cord outdoors.
  • Always use extension cords that are properly rated for the load.
  • Never break off or bypass the grounding prong on a  three-pronged plug.
  • Worn cords can cause shocks and fires. Do not use them!
  • When removing a plug from a socket, pull on the plug and not on the cord.


  • Unplug the toaster before prying out toast that is wedged in.
  • Never use electrical tools or appliances near water.
  • When buying appliances look for the yellow energy guide labels.


  • Always unplug power tools when they are not in use or when changing an attachment on them.
  • Do not stand on a damp floor or wet grass when operating power tools.


  • If a fuse blows, turn of all appliances and lights on the circuit before changing the fuse.
  • Replace the blown fuse with one of the correct rating – never with a higher one.
  • Periodically check that plug type fuses are snug. A loose fuse can overheat.


  • Keep ladders, kites and TV antennas away from power lines
  • Don’t play or stand near electrical structures such as utility poles, substations, metres, transformers or guy wires
  • Never prune or cut down a tree near a power line.
  • Teach children to stay clear of all electrical installations
  • Obey all safety signs and warnings
  • Use only electrical equipment designed for outside use
  • Use ground fault circuit interrupters on all plugs located outdoors.
  • If you see a fallen power line, call the electric company. Warn others away
  • If you have an underground electrical service, before digging identify overhead and underground power lines.
  • Call before you dig? You could hit a buried cable, conduit or gas pipeline and run the risk of loss of life or damage to property.
  • Never build a swimming pool or other structure under the power line leading to your house. Before digging, learn the location of underground power lines
  • Keep your radio and appliances away from swimming pools or wet surfaces.


  • know your emergency numbers and paste them to the telephone
  • If you smell smoke or see flame, unplug appliances involved or turn off power at the main control panel
  • CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Be sure to give your name and address and tell them it’s and electrical fire
  • If the fire is very small, put it out with a fire extinguisher or baking soda. NEVER USE WATER
  • If the fire is too big, get everyone out of the house fast. Don’t panic
  • Rehearse your response in advance. Fire drills save lives


  • Don’t touch anyone in contact with a power source. Unplug appliance or turn off power
  • If you can’t turn off power, separate the victim from power source with a dry pole, dry rope or dry clothing Don’t do this outdoors if the victim is touching a high-voltage ire. Dial your emergency number
  • If the victim is not breathing, apply mouth-to-mouth breathing or cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Then cover with a blanket, keep head low, and get medical attention
  • Administering CPR requires training. Ask your local hospital or Red Cross where to get instructions


  • Fuses or circuit breakers “blow” when there’s an overload, short or faulty appliance. Fix the trouble before restoring power
  • Electricity will go to ground through any good conductor: metal, liquid or YOU. Stay out of its path. Never touch appliances or wires with wet hands or feet

“Use electricity wisely and cautiously… it’s the bright thing to do”